You’ve worked hard for your beautiful smile!
Your braces have finally been removed and now you’re ready for the final phase of your orthodontic journey. To keep your smile looking its best, you’ll have to wear a retainer to preserve and stabilize your results.
Retainers are needed to control or limit potential changes in tooth position. They are used after braces treatment to hold teeth in their correct alignment while the surrounding gums, bone, and muscle adjust to the new positioning of your teeth.
Types of retainers
- Aligner-style Retainers or Essix Retainers – clear plastic, alternative to wire retainers
- Fixed Retainers – wires bonded behind the teeth, often kept in place for life
Things to consider
- All retainers are custom-made for optimal fit and comfort
- Removable retainers can be taken out for eating and hygiene routines
- Removable retainers can get lost easily – remember to use the case whenever you remove them!
- Fixed retainers require a little extra attention to remove tartar while flossing – use floss threaders to aid in this
Questions about your retainer?
Read through our FAQ section all about retainers, where we answer your most common questions.